Thursday, September 6, 2012

A whole new world

With apologies to Alan Mencken and Tim Rice, I can't really think of another way to talk about what Jay and I have gone through in the past eight weeks. ("We're not in Kansas anymore" would certainly be appropriate, but since we're moving to Orlando, I had to go with that.)
The application
Right around July 4th, Jay applied for a multi-platform production editor job at the Orlando Sentinel. He got a phone call several weeks later and had a great phone interview.
At the end of the call, I came out of the office at our house and looked down the stairs to ask him how it went. I will never forget the sound of his voice or the look on his face as he stood at the landing at the bottom of the stairs and said, "I think I'm gonna get this job."
A few days later, he was contacted to come down in person.
By then, I spent evenings looking hopefully at apartment and housing listings in the area - just in case. While he was at his interview, I also bought one roll of packing tape. Just in case.
The wait
Jay thought everything had gone pretty well. But then we didn't hear anything back for about a week. One night, we had a talk about the fact that it was ok, and there would be other jobs. I knew he was disappointed, but he has done his very best.
The next morning, Aug. 7, I got a call at work.
"Do you have a second?"
I took my cell phone out into the back hallway at work and waited for the bad news.
"Wanna live in Orlando?" he asked.
Everything changed. Just like that.
Get a move on
Now what?
Jay had to give notice. I had to hope that my boss would give me permission to work from home. (Thank goodness she did.)
Then all we had to do was find a place to live, pack up everything we owned, move it ten hours away and sell our house. No problem.
What blows my mind is that our house will be on the market this weekend - just a month after all of this began. It looks better than ever, too - with the new paint on the banister and the pressure washing on the vinyl, deck and driveway - it's shiny and bright. I actually find that spackling and painting is pretty relaxing. 
We have lots of stories from the actual move. More to come.

1 comment: