Thursday, March 6, 2014

Palm frond mirages

I was talking yesterday with one of my coworkers about the strange phenomenon that still happens to me occasionally. It's most often at off-ramps, or when I'm stopped in traffic. It's especially bad when I'm down near the theme parks.
I'll suddenly have to remind myself that I LIVE in Florida. I'm not just here on vacation.
It's because of the palm trees.
Before we moved here, we came often enough to know our way around. One of the very first things you see when you land at Orlando International Airport is palm trees. They're everywhere.
And it meant you were on vacation.
But now, they're everywhere.
And it's just where we live.
It's been a blessing this winter to be under these warm leafy fronds while everyone we know has been buried in snow and ice. So I'm not complaining at all.
And it has been about 18 months since we moved down here. For all practical purposes, I think we're settled in to the state. Heck, it's been almost three months since I've been at my new job.
Come to think of it, maybe feeling
like I'm on vacation occasionally isn't such a bad thing after all.

1 comment:

  1. Okay. Don't get mad at me, but I do not like Florida. But this post is making me a little jealous. I'm tired of being cold and would like some sunshine right about now. :-)

    ReplyDelete